In 1909, the cup was commissioned by Albert Grey, Canada’s Governor General, and was awarded for the first time to the Univerisity of Toronto Varsity Blues. The trophy is a silver chalice mounted on a large base, which holds the names of all the players and staff of the winning team. It has survived fire, breaking and being stolen and held for ransom twice in its life so far.