It is estimated that one in six Canadians will be victims of identity theft. Complaints of identity theft and fraud in Canada double and even triple each year, according to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. Fraud artists often use electronic means to steal millions of dollars from ordinary Canadians. In some cases, the appropriation of an individual’s identity may go unnoticed for years, and some victims lose everything.
But you can learn to safeguard your identity, recognize scams and protect yourself. This book examines:
– how criminals target their victims
– how they collect personal information
– what they do with that information
– why identity theft is so profitable and
– the many types of fraud related to identity theft.
It also explains ways to identify if you have been a victim of identity theft or fraud, and what you should do.
Read the astonishing stories of people who have had their identity stolen, the heartbreak of their losses and how they recovered.